Wellness - Techniques
Everyone is talking about wellness these days. It seems like a simple concept, but achieving it can get confusing. There are many techniques you can try and we recommend mixing it up until you find what works for you.
Wellness is a term that has come to encompass the practice of actively trying to improve your mind, body, and spirit. We will discuss some traditional and some alternative techniques in this article. The important thing to remember is that you need to find what works for you, regardless of where or when it was "discovered".
In this article, we will briefly discuss the following techniques:
- Music Therapy
Yoga is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. Yoga is one of the six orthodox philosophical schools of Hinduism. There is a broad variety of yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism.
For many, practicing yoga allows them to clear their minds and strengthen their body. It can be practiced by novices and advanced practitioners alike. There is a wonderful community of people that practice yoga and you can find them in-person and online.
- Space: 10ft x 10ft or larger room
- Equipment: mats, blankets, mirror
- SmartTV for streaming online classes
- Fan for adequate air movement
- Speaker system
- Sheer shades for privacy without the loss of natural light
Aromatherapy is a holistic healing treatment that uses natural plant extracts to promote health and well-being. Sometimes it’s called essential oil therapy. Aromatherapy uses aromatic essential oils medicinally to improve the health of the body, mind, and spirit. It enhances both physical and emotional health.
Aromatherapy is easy to practice as all you have to do is breathe :) Aromatherapy is often combined with other techniques as a way to enhance the experience. The most common method includes using a diffuser to release the essential oils into the air.
Ultrasonic diffusers combine the oil with water and have the added benefit of humidification. Nebulizing diffusers have the advantage of lasting longer between refills and don't require the addition of water. Lastly, fragrant plants can provide aroma and other health benefits.
There are many different scents available depending on the mood you want to create. We recommend getting a sample pack when you first start to see which fragrances resonate with you. Some of our favorites are: Peppermint, Citrus, and Eucalyptus. Don't be afraid to try mixing scents as well.
- space: Most diffusers work in 100-300 sq ft areas
- equipment: Essential Oils, Fragrant plants, Diffuser
- Get a sample pack to find the scents you like best
- a little goes a long way. Be sparing when adding oils
- If you are pregnant, have allergies, or pre-existing conditions, consult a doctor before starting aromatherapy
Massage is a treatment that uses different kinds of physical contact to relax, revive and heal the body. It is used to treat a wide range of emotional and physical health problems and is one of the most popular treatments on a spa menu.
With the current concerns about disease, a lot of people are investing in their own massage table. This allows you to control who is on the table and how the bedding is sanitized between sessions.
By creating a space in your home for massages, you can control the temperature, light levels, music, and aromatherapy.
- Space: enough room for the table and at least 2 ft around the table.
- Equipment: Massage table, heating pads, massage pillows, bedding, towels, massage oils, and a blanket
- Make sure there is a sink in the space or nearby to wash hands before and after the massage.
- Voice control of fans and furnaces to maintain temperatures and reduce drafts without having to touch anything.
- Good lighting control.
Sensual isn't the same as sexual. Sensuality refers to the pleasure derived from the senses. In the realm of wellness, we believe it to mean pleasure from connecting completely with a partner or partners through all of the senses.
Often times, excluding overtly sexual acts from the practice can lead to a deeper and more satisfying experience for all involved.
- Set expectations and ground rules before the session
- color changing lights to create a visually appealing atmosphere
- aromatherapy (think perfume, cologne, and food, not only essential oils)
- music system
- feathers, ice cubes, warm stones, and other tools to create different touch sensations.
- small snacks like berries or chocolate
- wine or other aromatic beverage
Meditation can be defined as a set of techniques that are intended to encourage a heightened state of awareness and focused attention. Meditation is also a consciousness-changing technique that has been shown to have a wide number of benefits on psychological well-being.
While meditation is often used for religious purposes, many people practice it independently of any religious or spiritual beliefs or practices.
There are many different types of meditation taught. You can attend a class, workshop, or religious ceremony to learn the basics. You can also find many guides online to get you started.
For most methods, a quiet and comfortable place are the starting point. We find it easiest to find a comfortable chair in a fairly quiet room.
- A comfortable chair or mat
- quiet space
- control of the lights (don't want it too bright or dark)
- soft repetitive sounds like a singing bowls or monks chanting can be helpful
Wether you use machines, free-weights, or everyday objects, exercise can help you focus and develop a strong healthy body. Since the pandemic shutdown gyms around the world, people have had to adapt and find ways to workout at home.
We find that having a dedicated space for working out and setting a schedule work well for long term success. You also want to have enough variety that you don't get bored with your workouts.
- Good airflow
- enough room to properly use all machines
- protective floor coverings to protect your home and reduce the chance for injury
- SmartTV for internet based instructor lead sessions.
- a good sound system
- A projection system to turn your entire wall into a portal that transports you to a better place to workout
- aromatherapy to keep you focused
The is our favorite wellness technique. It is simply finding a relaxing piece of furniture, your favorite beverage, and some amazing music. The goal is to forget about the world around you for a short period of time.
Our preferred approach involves a good beverage, a leather chair, a quality pair of stereo speakers, a good turntable, and a selection of vinyl albums. The reason we like vinyl albums is because we can completely disconnect from the digital world and we don't have to worry about bandwidth, digital screens with harsh backlight, or internet interruptions.
There is something special about opening the cover of an album. Reading the liner notes and appreciate the album artwork while listening to the story unfold. We get to go on a journey that was crafted by master musicians and designed to be played in a specific order.
- a good sound system
- a comfortable chair
- dimmable lighting
- 2-3 vinyl albums
We hope this article has introduced you to some new wellness techniques or helped you find a way to incorporate some of them into your life. They really can lead to a better, happier, and more productive life.
We also look forward to hearing from you about techniques we didn't mention in this article or other ways to practice some of the techniques we did mention. As soon as we have a collection of new techniques to share, we will post part 2.