The New Riders of The Purple Sage were regarded as America's
favorite psychedelic cowboy band in the early 1970s. What had started as a chance for the
Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia to learn pedal steel guitar as he accompanied singer John
''Marmaduke'' Dawson and his unique songbook of classic Americana tunes, had become
its own entity by 1972.
With the addition of Buddy Cage on pedal steel to replace Garcia, 1972 saw two studio
releases in the forms of Powerglide and Gypsy Cowboy. Emerging from the shadow of
the Grateful Dead after opening countless shows for them, not only were the New Riders
becoming a bona fi de live act to contend with, but their performances were earning them
a loyal and rabid following on the East Coast, especially in the New York Tri-State area.
Captured at the late show from November 23, 1972, at the Academy of Music, Thanksgiving
In New York City features the band in the midst of an energetic and highly regarded tour.
Along with Dawson classics like ''Henry,'' ''Portland Woman,'' and ''Last Lonely Eagle,''
lead guitarist David Nelson and bassist Dave Torbert also bring some Bluegrass (''She's
No Angel'') and R&B (''I Don't Need No Doctor,'' ''Willie And The Hand Jive'') to the mix.
An evening with New Riders of the Purple Sage in downtown Manhattan offered music fans
a musical panorama that continually upped the ante of the potential of country meets rock
with a psychedelic twist. This concert from 1972 began what would be an annual engagement over the Thanksgiving holiday in New York City for the following three years. It was
a family vibe of a whole other nature when the New Riders came to town. Crank it up and
enjoy the musical feast that is Thanksgiving In New York City!
1. Leaving On Her Mind (02:47) (Jack Clement)
2. Portland Woman (07:20) (John Dawson)
3. Hello Mary Lou (03:05) (G. Pitney/C. Mangiaracina)
4. Sutter's Mill (02:24) (John Dawson)
5. She's No Angel (03:09) (Arnold/Ballman)
6. Henry (04:10) (John Dawson)
7. Contract (03:30) (Dave Torbert)
8. Linda (03:28) (John Dawson)
9. Take A Letter Maria (05:20) (R.B. Greaves)
10. All I Ever Wanted (06:40) (John Dawson)
11. Groupie (03:38) (Dave Torbert)
12. Whiskey (03:25) (John Dawson)
13. Long Black Veil (04:20) (Dill/Wilkin)
14. Lochinvar (05:00) (John Dawson)
15. Truck Drivin' Man (03:09) (Terry Fell)
16. Rainbow (03:20) (John Dawson)
17. I Don't Need No Doctor (07:01) (Ashford/Simpson/Armstead)
18. Louisiana Lady (03:57) (John Dawson)
19. Honky Tonk Women (04:47) (Jagger/Richards)
20. Last Lonely Eagle (05:51) (John Dawson)
21. Willie & The Hand Jive (12:00) (Johnny Otis)
IMAGE MAY NOT MATCH ACTUAL PRODUCT SHIPPED!
Please call or message if you are looking for a specific item.
Our on-line store is open 24/7 and we ship Tuesday through Saturday, excluding some holidays. Orders received for products without shipping restrictions on its product page will ship the same business day when received before 1:00 p.m. PST. Custom ordered parts generally ship within 5 days. We will reach out if there is any reason to expect a longer delay.
We try to be as accurate as possible, but we use a service to get images for the vinyl records we sell. Sometimes, this leads to the image showing a special colored vinyl edition of a record when we only have the standard black vinyl version. If you are looking for a specific color or product version, please contact us to verify before placing your order.